Monday, August 25, 2008

Money

St. Paul writes to his padawan / bishop in training St. Timothy that "the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil". Today I had to listen to parents argue about money. I realized as well today that I hate money. People at Capernwray were so taken aback when I told them my dad owned a plane and that we were rich that they thought I was lying. Probably because I don't spend much money, and I've never viewed money as mine, since my parents can take it whenever they want with no questions asked.

So basically I realized again that the monastic life is strangely and in some ways even more appealing. I truly hope that God will strike me dead before I have to argue with someone I love about money. I have to leave for work in ten minutes to earn money. I don't care about my money, it will all go to school, which will lead to nothing, it's so meaningless and traps so many people. In my principles - not my everyday life example - I believe it is better to be homeless. I believe the bible says 'blessed are the poor', that's a very old Christian virtue which has been lost by the Sodom and Gommorah in which we live (remember the sin of Sodom was neglected for the poor according to Ezekiel).

I saw "Into the Wild" the other day, I'd read the book years ago. I always liked when he burned all the money he had. I've wanted to do that. It is the ultimate sign of faith I think, and of worldly renounciation. The Government controls so much, and in our idolization (if not worship) of money, I wonder if the greatest incidences of Caesaro-Papism are not left in the pages of the East-West schism but are in our Post-Modern world.

God help us all from this root of money which so easily ensnares the world.

1 comment:

dfast said...

I've been thinking about this too. I wonder what would happen if we were to become poor. We would then just be living off the generosity of those who have money, would we not? How else would we survive? It would be neat to be a subsistence farmer in our society. Because what do we really need to survive? Food, water, heat, clean air... not much else.