Saturday, May 9, 2009

Star Trek Thoughts

Last night a friend and I went to see the new Star Trek movie. At first I thought it was going to suck because I'd always associated the words Star Trek with all the things I hate about nerds/gaming community/ppl who are higher levels than me in Warcraft. But I was absolutely amazed at how good a movie it was, I highly recommend it. I think I liked it for entirely different reasons than most people though.



My favourite scenes were on the planet Vulcan where Spok grew up. It shows his education as a child and a few glimpses of their society. They're a society completely based on logic and not emotion. There's shots of kids reciting math equations - to which I told Teresa "If there's that much math in the future, count me out" - right next to kids answering questions on moral philosophy. Each of them is kind of being tutored. Apparently on Vulcan as in the Corruscant Jedi Council there is still enough tax dollars going into higher education for people to be trained personally. (maybe that's why they're more advanced than Earth!)



I liked seeing the statues they had built and the culture that was fairly believable. If other planets have people devoted to Western/Logical Philosophy and Reason, that gives me hope for Earth's philosophical relativism, and Nietzschean Barbarism.



So ya, that's where Star Trek led me heh. Also the guy from Harold and Kumar (Harold/Asian guy) was in it, and the guy from Shaun of the Dead. I recommend seeing it. Live long and prosper.

No comments: