Friday, November 6, 2009

Names

I've been thinking about names recently and what it means to be 'branded' with one. I tried to Latinize mine. Andrus Petrus Cottrillus in the nominative (I made Andrew ; Andru so that it was a 4th declension noun, there's now 'ew' ending nouns in Latin).

I was looking up names I saw in the Twilight Saga, and found the meaning of some like "Esme" being the old French for "To love". When William the Conqueror came from Normandy and destroyed the Anglo-Saxons and English was codified as a language, many concepts indescribably in Anglish/English just simply adopted Old French words and placed them in the language (because the Normans spoke Old French). I found this interesting as my decendents were Norman serfs brought over to England with King Bill the first there.

Celeste (heavenly) & Rosabelle (beautiful rose)are good Latin names I like.

No comments: