Saturday, December 13, 2008

Relaxation


I've been waiting a long time for a break. I kept 'dreaming' about the day I'd be able to just relax, I've had two days and they've been medicinal. Seriously it feels like I've had an injection of goodness or something. It only seems to work in contradiction to lots of work/school though, it is definately having diminishing returns each extra day of loafing around. Though I have to say I wish I could keep a Sabbath and just have a day to rest once a week. I think we all just need alot more relaxation time. I love just sitting in peace and breathing deeply and listening to a great song like John Mayer's No Such Thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya93JWrdxFc


It's been a good Christmas gift to just relax, I think as Aristotle would say a part of the Essence of man involves rest. I mean God even rested on the 7th day (what specific part of the 14.5 billion years that was I don't know). But I was reading my Catechism yesterday and it said something nice:



"2171 God entrusted the sabbath to Israel to keep as a sign of the
irrevocable covenant. The sabbath is for the Lord, holy and set apart for the
praise of God, his work of creation, and his saving actions on behalf of Israel.

2172 God's action is the model for human action. If God "rested and was refreshed" on the seventh day, man too ought to "rest" and should let others, especially the poor, "be refreshed." The sabbath brings everyday work to a halt and provides a respite. It is a day of protest against the servitude of work and the worship of money."

1 comment:

author@ptgbook.org said...

The weekly seventh-day Sabbath is a wonderful time to rest, and I am sure God created the Sabbath day for the purpose of rest. But there are other benefits of the Sabbath as well. As I point out in my blog, I think there are strong connections between the Sabbath day and the lesson of faith.